TITLE: Volunteer Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Marketing and Fund Development Manager
DATE: March 2011; updated June 2022
JOB CODE: VC
Under limited supervision, coordinates a wide variety of volunteer services which include patient/family/bereavement/courier requests and other volunteers. Plans and coordinates volunteer training and ongoing education of volunteers. Participates in the interdisciplinary team to develop the plan of care, serving as an advocate for the patient and family. Adheres to the principles of Service Care Standards and the philosophy and mission of Hospice in all aspects of job performance.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide service/care appropriate to the age of the patients served, in accordance with Hospice of Siouxland standards.
2. Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local laws and regulations, the Compliance Accountability Program, Code of Ethics, Fraud Waste and Abuse, as well as other policies and procedures.
3. Makes recommendations on volunteer placement needs based on standards of care, assessments, and documents from patient/families.
4. Work in collaboration with interdisciplinary team members and attend IDG team meetings to implement and revise plan of care based on patient/family needs.
5. Documents all patient care and volunteer coordination related activities accurately, legibly, and in compliance with hospice policies.
6. Uses effective communication to coordinate care with interdisciplinary team members and volunteers.
7. Responsible for planning and coordinating volunteer training and ongoing education of volunteers.
8. Provides ongoing recruitment, training, supervision, and retention of volunteers to meet Hospice program needs.
9. Assigns and coordinates volunteer placement with interdisciplinary team members.
10. Recognizes and communicates issues/occurrences utilizing established lines of authority and assists in identifying opportunities for improvement when desired outcomes are not achieved.
11. Maintains confidentiality of information pertaining to patients, physicians, employees, and Hospice business.
12. Assists with orientation of new staff members.
13. Responsible for We Honor Veterans Program; including coordinating events and documenting all activities to maintain Level 5 status.
14. Is knowledgeable of and complies with Hospice Safety and Infection Control Policies and Procedures.
15. Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
SERVICE CARE STANDARDS:
2. Dignity and Respect
4. Commitment to Excellence
• Positive Attitude
• Competence / Expertise
• Service to Community
5. Financial Responsibility
1. Bachelor’s degree in health, social work, or related field preferred.
2. Basic computer skills/knowledge required.
3. A minimum of two years of work experience with volunteer programs preferred.
4. Is able to communicate effectively with all members of the health care team and volunteers.
5. Maintains a current driver’s license and auto insurance. Has available vehicle to travel to patient residences.
6. Is able to perform a variety of duties characterized by frequent change.
1. Must successfully pass Hospice of Siouxland employment physical examination.
2. Primarily works inside with frequent sitting, walking and standing and occasional lifting.
3. Able to function effectively under stressful situations.
4. Must understand and accept the possibility of exposure to environmental elements, such as inclement weather and infectious diseases.
These essential functions identify the major requirements of the job. They are not an exhaustive list of all job requirements. An employee may be called upon to perform additional responsibilities not specifically identified in this job description.