121 Deer Run Trail
Climbing Hill, IA 51015
ENTRY SALARY: $19.57/hr. (Plus Benefits) (Approximately 1560 hrs./year) FLSA 207K Wage Plan
(Accepting the following levels: Paramedic, Advanced EMT, EMT-Basic)
Under general supervision, responds to emergency calls in a prompt and efficient manner; is familiar with department policies and standard operating procedures. Assists the Director by maintaining and providing required medical documentation in a timely manner and maintains the inventory of medical supplies, equipment, changing procedures and required state policies. Attend meetings, workshops, conferences, and seminars. Must have and maintain required certifications of Iowa Emergency Medical License for one of the following: Paramedic, Advanced EMT and EMT Basic. Work is subject to rotating schedules and staggered shifts.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
The following duties are typical for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive.
Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Responds to emergencies as an emergency responder where there is or may be a medical emergency, emergency due to fire, an emergency incident or accident both man-made and natural, as well as environmental disaster events such as severe weather-related emergencies, flooding and others
- Responsible for maintaining operational Emergency Services facilities readiness 24 hours a day, seven days a week inclusive of equipment, grounds, and communications
- Coordinates and performs daily operational services of the Emergency Services facility and systems
- Assist the Director in coordination of all phases of emergency response to major emergencies or disasters
- Plans and provides emergency services education for both the public and private entities including groups and individuals
- Participates in meetings on emergency services matters by sharing information, job related experiences and responding to job related questions
- Assist in interpretation and implementation of policies and plans among local and state emergency departments and emergency responders
- Assist in the preparation of both long and short-range emergency plans of the County systems
- Assist in the development of volunteer resources in support of emergency services response and all emergency phases. Monitors weather conditions
- Completes all necessary and required paperwork and reports on emergency and or disaster incidents
- Can exercise good judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions
- Responsible for supervising other assigned department personnel, paid and volunteer, including training, instruction, assigning and checking work, motivation, enforcing discipline and performance evaluation
- Responsible for catching and confining stray animals
- Acts as liaison and counsels with other departments, agencies, and organizations
- Participates in disaster services and emergency planning workshops and conferences at local/ state/regional/regional level
- Attendance is required
Non-Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Performs routine administrative and clerical work
- Performs a variety of other duties relative to the scope of designated responsibility under the direction of the County Emergency Services Director.
Minimum Education and Experience Required to Perform Essential Functions:
Minimum Education and Experience Required Performing Essential Functions:
Minimum Education and Experience Required Performing Essential Functions: (cont.)
- Have and maintain an emergency medical license valid within Iowa; at a minimum level of skills no less than;
- Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (AEMT)
- Iowa Paramedic Specialist (PS)
- Paramedic (P)
- Have and maintain all other required certifications and trainings that are required by the Emergency Services Department, the medical director, and the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) and continuously monitor these requirements and guidelines as they are subject to change.
- Have and maintain all other required certifications of Iowa Firefighters Association and/or Emergency Services Department
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH THE APPLICATION OTHERWISE THE APPLICATION WILL NOT BE FORWARDED.
Must have and maintain required certifications of Iowa Emergency Medical License for one of the following: Paramedic, Advanced EMT, EMT Basic and CPR Certification are required. A valid driver’s license is required.
A completed County Application form and a resume are required.
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS:
4:30 p.m., Monday August 1, 2022 or until position filled.
Woodbury County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will consider reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the Employer.
- Must have knowledge of the communication systems, frequency and equipment capabilities
- Ability to exercise tact, discretion, and confidentiality
- Ability to coordinate and work with multiple issues
- Must be able to work on a 24 hour 7 day a week work schedule
- Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with other employees, public officials, and the public
- Ability to prepare accurate reports
- Ability to follow directions and assist in writing plans and direct the use of resources
- Assist in coordinating emergency services response under extraordinary circumstances
- Ability to exercise good judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions
- Ability to instruct and train other Emergency Services staff, volunteers and public is helpful
- Ability to become familiar with state and federal laws concerning civil defense operations
- Physical ability to lift 50-85 pounds
- Possession of an appropriate valid driver’s license and insurance
- Able to successfully pass: physical examination, back screen, vision, hearing screen/test, DOT drug screen and background check.