Human Sciences and Youth Nutrition Educator
OBJECTIVE: Delivers research-based planned programs.
Job Purpose: Conduct nutrition education programs in the Sioux City Community School District and local community agencies, as well as within Extension. Provide information to limited resource youth using specified curriculum to help youth make healthy nutrition and physical activity choices. Provide human sciences programming in accordance with needs of the county.
YOUTH NUTRITION EDUCATOR RESPONSIBILITIES FOR INN GRANT 50%
• Prepare and instruct lessons from a standardized curriculum to low-income youth in grant approved schools during the school year and community agencies during the summer.
• Work with low-income schools and community partners to identify and recruit low-income youth for nutrition education programming.
• Arrange for classroom teaching and meeting facilities, coordinate dates and times for classes, collect and organize lesson material, communicate with teachers to schedule lessons.
• Conduct student, teacher, and parent evaluations and provide opportunities for parental interaction, participation, and learning per grant guidelines.
• Participate in trainings, webinars, and conferences related to the grant project.
• Work with other ISU Extension and Outreach staff and school staff to train teachers and carry out lessons/tastings per food safety protocol.
• Work with additional office staff including INN Grant Manager, county director, bookkeeper and other youth educators to coordinate the project.
• Order food and supplies as needed for lessons.
• Assist with summer nutrition education planning and teaching.
• Refer youth to other 4-H programs within ISU Extension and Outreach – Woodbury County.
HUMAN SCIENCES/YOUTH EDUCATOR RESPONSIBILITIES 50%
• This position is the lead staff member to coordinate human sciences programming for the county, working closely with Human Science Youth Program Specialists and County Director.
• Program offerings may include What About Me? My Wellbeing, SWITCH, Kids in the Kitchen, On Your Own and OK, and Science of Parenting among others.
• Work with Regional Director to schedule and assist Rising Star student interns with programs.
• Additional youth/nutrition education programs for the county as needed.
• Inform supervisor of county projects and project outcomes.
• Secures outside funding support of program area.
• Manages local data collection in line with program area requirements.
• Maintain a positive working relationship with staff and clients in the county.
• Continually develop and enhance relevant skills and understand current professional standards. Attends annual state in-service human sciences training.
• Regularly attend human sciences professional development team meetings for the region.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in youth/child development, education, or related field such as family and consumer science.
• Three years of related teaching experience preferred
• Demonstrated ability to provide programs for youth
• Content knowledge in youth development/nutrition preferred
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Computer, organizational, and problem-solving skills
• Team player and people oriented
• Valid driver’s license and ability to lift and carry items to multiple buildings
• Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends
• Successful contract and grant writing experience
• Experience working cooperatively with boards and diverse groups
SUPERVISOR: Regional Director
Position is available based on funding from grants, contracts, and Extension funding and hours are dependent on those funding resources available.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume and completed application to Molly Hewitt firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application form (Word)
Application form (.pdf)
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status and will not be discriminated against. This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
For the full non-discrimination statement or accommodation inquiries, go to www.extension.iastate.edu/diversity/ext.