Entrepreneurial Community Navigator
Siouxland Interstate Metropolitan Planning Council (SIMPCO) /
Iowa’s West Coast Initiative
Entrepreneurial Community Navigator
The Siouxland Interstate Metropolitan Planning Council (SIMPCO), in partnership with Iowa’s West Coast Initiative (IWCI), is looking for an Entrepreneurial Community Navigator to work with entrepreneurs and small businesses within Plymouth, Monona and Woodbury counties. Under the direction of the SIMPCO Executive Director and members of IWCI, the Entrepreneurial Community Navigator will be responsible for continuing to build the region’s entrepreneurial ecosystem by engaging with early-stage entrepreneurs, connecting them to available resources, and coordinating regular programming and events. This position is a 2-year grant funded position.
- Identify early stage entrepreneurs within Plymouth, Monona and Woodbury counties, connect them to available resources, and provide consistent follow-up (travel between counties required).
- Monitor the pipeline of entrepreneurs and track services provided throughout the business formation process and lifecycle.
- Identify the needs of entrepreneurs and coordinate regular networking opportunities, educational programming, and technical assistance to address those needs.
- Promote the region as an entrepreneurial hub and market the resources and services available to entrepreneurs via digital, social and traditional media channels.
- Create, distribute, and manage content across digital channels and analyze performance.
- Partner with local, regional and statewide organizations to expand opportunities offered throughout the region.
- Play a key role in the collaboration and exchange of information between service providers, stakeholders and economic development organizations in the region.
- Recruit entrepreneurs to participate in business idea competitions, Venture School and other available programming.
- Assist with instructing Venture School, Launch It College Games and other programs as needed.
- Engage corporate partners to sponsor and participate in events to bring business owners and startups together and develop a mentorship network.
- Identify and implement various revenue streams and sponsorships to ensure sustainability.
- Expand outreach activities targeting K-12 and college students / educators to increase entrepreneurship education and involvement in the ecosystem.
- Identify donors / investors to implement a “Seed Fund” to support businesses who have been through programming and need financial assistance to scale.
- Work in partnership with members of Iowa’s West Coast Initiative and hold regular meetings with the members to provide progress updates and receive guidance.
- Monitor and track all activities to measure success.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Marketing, or related field; An equivalent combination of entrepreneurial experience and education will be considered.
- Knowledge and experience in the areas of creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship.
- Knowledge of local startup ecosystem and area service providers.
- Proven capability to create, plan, manage and implement programs and events on budget.
- High level of proficiency in social media and digital marketing across multiple channels; Knowledge of web platforms, web analytics, SEO and SEM preferred.
- Project management experience with excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; Strong leadership and problem-solving skills; Strong interpersonal communication skills, presentation skills and organizational skills; Effective marketing skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other persons inside and outside of the organization.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and monitor/track daily activities.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and vehicle to travel within a three-county region as needed.
- Travel: The role requires some travel, perhaps up to 25% of the time, within Plymouth, Monona, and Woodbury counties (will be reimbursed for mileage).
- Work hours: This role is mostly during normal work hours but may have evening and weekend requirements as well.
- Location: This role will be located in Springboard Coworking in downtown Sioux City.
- Employer: This position will be an employee of Siouxland Interstate Metropolitan Planning Council (SIMPCO) and will report directly to the Executive Director.
- Reporting: This role will additionally report to the members of Iowa’s West Coast Initiative (which includes representatives from the following organizations: Siouxland Interstate Metropolitan Planning Council (SIMPCO), City of Sioux City, Woodbury County, Monona County, Le Mars Business Initiative Corp, Siouxland Economic Development Corporation (SEDC), The Siouxland Initiative, MidAmerican Energy).
- Compensation and Benefits: This role will receive a competitive pay package; benefits include company contributions to health/vision/dental insurance plans and a retirement plan with company match.
- Background check: This role will be required to pass a background check as part of the on-boarding process.
- Initially, this role is a temporary, two-year position, but there is potential to convert the role to a permanent, full-time position based on identifying and implementing additional revenue sources.
Salary: $42,000 - $55,600
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at SIMPCO, 1122 Pierce Street, Sioux City, Iowa, 51105. Application deadline: Opened until filled. EOE/AA
The Siouxland Interstate Metropolitan Planning Council (SIMPCO) is a regional planning agency located in Sioux City, Iowa. The agency is guided by a board of directors comprised of city and county-elected officials, representatives of the private sector and stakeholder organizations. SIMPCO collaborates with local governments in long-range strategic and comprehensive planning, community and economic development activities, transportation planning issues, and regional program management.
Iowa’s West Coast Initiative is a collaboration between the economic development organizations in Plymouth, Monona and Woodbury counties. The goal of IWCI is to encourage entrepreneurial activity and create a supportive culture by providing business and technical assistance, offering networking opportunities and increasing access to capital for entrepreneurs.