Vice President of Human Resources
The VP of Human Resources is responsible for all human resources management functions for the business unit including a workforce of 2600; providing leadership and management oversight of the talent acquisition and talent management, workers compensation and health services, learning and development, employee and labor relations, HRIS, compensation, communications, community relations activities within the organization. This position will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer and a dotted line responsibility to the VP Human Resources at Seaboard Foods.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop organization strategies for human resources in line with Company objectives. Implement those strategies by establishing department accountabilities, including talent acquisition, staffing, employment processing, health and welfare benefits, training and development, records management, succession planning, workers compensation, employee relations and retention, regulatory compliance, and labor relations.
- Evaluate and execute best practices, communications or courses of action to establish positive employer-employee relationships, while promoting a high level of employee morale within a diverse, multicultural environment.
- Advise Talent Acquisition initiatives on staffing best practices that align with company goals.
- Overseeing all talent acquisition activities and ensuring full compliance with all regulatory requirements.
- Mentor and lead a cohesive HR team to effectively identify and implement HR best practices.
- Work collaboratively to manage legal and ethical requirements affecting the Human Resources function (i.e, OSHA, EEO, ERISA, Wage & Hour, etc.) and business units.
- Manage situations involving policies, rules or regulations, which need clarity, interpretation and/or judgment. Develop and implement solutions to personnel and labor relations issues affecting the Company to mitigate legal and compliance-related risks.
- Evaluate and advise on the impact new programs/strategies and regulatory actions that may affect the attraction, motivation, development and retention of people resources.
- Work in consultation with the COO, executive team and owners on wage and salary structure, pay policies, performance appraisals, employee benefit programs and services to provide appropriate motivation, incentives and rewards for effective performance.
- Ensuring quality training and development programs are in place for new hires and leaders at all levels.
- Providing employee relations support to the organization, which includes investigations, investigation outcomes, leadership and employee coaching, administration of discipline, tracking of activity and Position Statement responses to regulatory agencies for a unionized workforce.
- Remaining abreast of EEO and DOL regulatory changes that can have a compliance effect on Human Resources practices and processes (ex. change or notice of new requirement under the ADA, ACA, FCRA, FMLA, etc.).
- Overseeing labor relations strategy and ensuring the CBA is properly administered, appropriate interaction with the Union occurs, and the grievance process is properly managed.
- Building trust with operational leaders in order to become a relied upon advisor as well as creating a dependable team.
- Overseeing the Company's active leave and disability management programs and processes in accordance with all regulatory requirements.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: High School Diploma/GED with a Bachelors' Degree required. 10 years of generalist experience in Human Resources with two of the disciplines being Employee Relations and Labor Relations. A PHR/SPHR is preferred. Must have experience working with unions and interpreting CBAs. Must have strong experience with compliance or audit processes and have excellent record keeping, data tracking, and dashboarding skills. Good judgment and ability to lead ancillary departments to better outcomes. Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks while under pressure. Experience in a manufacturing environment. Experience working in a multi-cultural environment; bilingual skills considered a plus. Ability to work with a variety of personalities in a manufacturing setting is required.
COMMUNICATION SKILLS: Excellent writing, verbal and written skills. Experience responding to regulatory inquiries. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical procedures, and/or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management, leadership, executives and employees. Must have the ability to influence and persuade others.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and interpret documents in the English language such as benefits documents, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Must be able to effectively communicate with outside insurance providers, brokers, HRMS vendors, and production and management personnel. Bilingual skills a plus.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Strong financial acumen and analytical skills with the ability to synthesize data, and chart data that leads management to make informed decisions regarding the HCM business.
REASONING ABILITY: Strong understanding of project implementations, project structure and life-cycle and best practice standards and tools.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Strong personal computer skills (Microsoft products, medical tracking system, ADP) required; Personal attributes to include adaptability, self-directed, organized, ambitious and an outgoing individual with vision, people management skills, outstanding written and verbal communication skills, influence capabilities, time management skills, and multi-tasking abilities; must hold a valid driver's license due to occasional business travel.